Winter months in San Antonio are near. In fact, the months of October through February have a track record of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances occurring throughout those months. To understand the safety of your home, schedule an annual furnace service now, before the middle of winter is here.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners know that their furnace can give off deadly carbon monoxide gas, but greater than half don't do anything to stop it from occurring.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be quite harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be thought of as the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that uses fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the chance to discharge carbon monoxide if the system is not working as it should be or if it wasn’t installed the right way.
Your annual furnace service company can help find any possible concerns. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Make sure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Look for any other out-of-place things that may compromise your safety
- Help you uncover any additional areas where you may want to think about adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is operating at its top efficiency, helping offer peace-of-mind that you’re in a great spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to know that many furnace manufacturers may require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the experts at Aramendia Plumbing, Heating and Air, A Service Experts Company can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at 210-404-4233 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the winter months.