When severe weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you arrange for an AC repair expert to check your system after the storm, they can probably provide you with good news that your preparations paid off.
At Aramendia Plumbing, Heating and Air, A Service Experts Company, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time likely will not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a list of what you can do before and after a severe weather event takes place.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during bad weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to know for sure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets thrown around during threatening weather. Just make sure you have turned the system completely off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a safe place so that they don’t get thrown around during the severe weather event.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to head outside, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you notice any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Aramendia Plumbing, Heating and Air, A Service Experts Company prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is a necessity.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in San Antonio, but we have to be ready if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other problems that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best get ready for bad weather in San Antonio or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has come and gone, give us a call at 210-404-4233 or schedule an appointment with Aramendia Plumbing, Heating and Air, A Service Experts Company through our online scheduler.